Last semester, I took CSP. During the chapter about communication and relationships, our teacher asked us who thought long distance relationships are real. Almost everyone agreed. After that, he asked us if long distance relationships last. I was the only one who raised my hand.
What makes long distance so hard? Well, I have a few main reasons.
1. You rarely see each other.
2. When you’re busy, you can’t talk. Talking is your only form of communication. When this goes on for a while, you feel more distant than ever.
3. Even though they’re your best friend, they can’t always be there for you. Sometimes being there for someone truly means being THERE.
But those are NOT reasons why long distance relationships fail. They fail because:
1. You don’t love one another.
2. You aren’t trying hard enough.
3. You aren’t mature enough.
With love, determination, and a bit of growing up and realizing it’s not all about you, long distance can work. I would know. I’ve been in one for a year and though it’s one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, it’s still going strong.
To conclude, here are my reasons why it works:
1. You become closer than if you saw each other everyday.
2. You don’t have to care about what the opposite sex thinks about you because there’s only one person’s opinion that matters. (i.e. acting like an idiot or looking homeless)
3. Whenever you actually DO see each other, it’s meaningful. No phones. No distractions. Because you get to see the person you love and it ROCKS.
So take your preconceived notions, throw them out the window, and give someone in a LDR a hug!